flower backgroud

Monday, March 21, 2011

Future Missionary?

Why not be one now? :)

There are so many of us that think that in order to do missionary work we have to be called to serve on a full time mission. wrong!    You can do missionary work everyday! We just have to "open our mouth" and talk to people everyday. Try it!
*****
So...today I was walking home from the Richards Building....and I thought to myself why not try to ask someone for a ride :) It was one of my favorite things to do while in Hawaii and I thought why not try it here? { Don't worry I just ask people here at BYU that I see  walking to their cars} Its one of my favorite ways to make new friends! Plus it was SUPER windy and started to rain, and its no fun being soaked! So I began walking and looking for anyone who was walking towards their car. No luck. I thought about even putting my thumb up? hmmm no no no! Ok so I saw this guy walking my direction. I then asked him if he was driving home? he kindly then apologized and said no. I was almost out of the parking lot and right when I began to give up and just walk home. Just as I did that same guy came back to me and asked me if I needed a ride home. I said that I would LOVE that! So I ended up walking and talking to him and getting to know his background. Turned out he was actually from Arizona! Small world.

I then began talking about how I was going to serve a Mission in New York New York Spanish Speaking. { I think thats all I talk about lately} haha anyways then I proceeded to ask him if he had served a mission. He then said " Actually I am one of that small percentage here at BYU who is not a member"! Boy I was SO full of excitement and Joy I couldn't even contain myself :) I said ," oh really? what brought you here to BYU?" He then told me that he was looking for a really good business school and that he found it! Here! He then told me that people often ask him if it was a big adjustment or change to follow what we call the "Honor Code" He then said no. Because when he was in High School he surrounded himself with members. I said that was so great, that he didn't have to lower his standards but that he could hang out with people who have his same standards.

I then asked him if he had ever thought about becoming a member? He said, " Yes I actually came quite close my freshman year". I then asked him what stopped him. He said that he did not have the best feeling about it and that it just was not the right time. He also said that just because he did not then, does not mean that he is still not open to it, but that he was still open to it. I then asked him if he had read the Book of Mormon? I was actually SHOCKED when he told me that he had read it 4 times already! WOW! I then asked him if he had taken upon him Moronis Challenge in Moroni 10:4-5? He then said yes! I asked him what he felt? He said that he did have a good feeling about it at first but then after that he began to have bad feelings. I then explained to him that those "bad feelings" that he was talking about were coming from Satan! Because Satan does not want us to come to know of the truth. He agreed. I then asked him if he would start reading the Book of Mormon again. He said Yes and that he was ready to read the book of Mormon again! :)

We then talked about our true purpose in this life. I began talking and asked him if he knew what a Patriarchal blessing was? He said that he did. And I told him that if I ever was feeling down that I would read through mine and it helped me realize how much potential that I have in this life and that my Heavenly Father has so much in store and planned for me in my life. He then told me how he WISHED that he had his own patriarchal blessing. I also talked to him about it is SO neat how if we ever have ANY question in our lives that we can turn to the Book of Mormon and scriptures for the answers. For they really have the answers to ANY question. { 2nd Nephi 32:8-9}

He then told me about an experience that he had with President Ucdorf and how he was able to sit in a room with him onetime. { Alright now THAT is cool} haha I then got his contact information and told him that it would be really neat to keep in touch with him, and I told him that I would LOVE to hear about any updates. As we approached my apartment I then asked him if he was going to go to Devotional tomorrow? He said that he had not thought about it. I then asked him if he would be interested in sitting with me. He accepted!

I could not be HAPPIER! Missionary experiences are ALL over the place. I love that there are people put in our pathways JUST for us. All that we have to do is "open our mouths" and the lord will help us.

There are missionary experiences just waiting for us.

Even at BYU! :)

3 comments:

  1. Thats awesome Kaitlin! You will be the best missionary.. you already are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome story, though I'm not so some about hitching rides home from strangers.. even at BYU. hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can we write you? Just promise not to Dear John us... haha.

    ReplyDelete