flower backgroud

Monday, March 28, 2011

Today

Today we were learning about how important the words of the prophets are. I think that sometimes we get so caught up in reading out of the Book of Mormon, New Testament, Pearl of Great Price..etc that we do not always pay attention to what the prophet said 6 months ago in general conference. I want to start reading a conference talk everyday or at least listening to them, because the words of the modern day prophets are so important. They are receiving revelation for Our people in Our day! Today I would like to focus on the words of President Uchtdorf. He is such an incredible man, and the talk that I would like to focus on is called Of things that matter most

"If life and its rushed pace and many stresses have made it difficult for you to feel like rejoicing, then perhaps now is a good time to refocus on what matters most."

In this talk he gives an example of professional pilots when flying a plane and all of the little things that they need to be ready for and to prepare for in case of emergency.

{What do you suppose pilots do when they encounter turbulence? A student pilot may think that increasing speed is a good strategy because it will get them through the turbulence faster. But that may be the wrong thing to do. Professional pilots understand that there is an optimum turbulence penetration speed that will minimize the negative effects of turbulence. And most of the time that would mean to reduce your speed. The same principle applies also to speed bumps on a road.} ~ Elder Uchtdorf

He then talks about The Pace of our Modern Life

Sometimes we get caught up in the big things in life that we seem to forget what is really important. There are some times where we think that we do not have time for those {little things} 
being: reading our scriptures, saying our morning and night prayers, {along with litle prayers throughout the entire day} I don't know how I would survive if it was not for those little prayers that I saw almost constantly. 
Making sure that we take time out of our week to go to the temple. 

I know that sometimes we think that we do not have time for these things. but I PROMISE you that if you put the lord first you will be blessed and that you will have time for everything else. 

For example today I decided instead of trying to read my scriptures late at night when I am half falling asleep I decided to wake up early and read them.
I found that I made it to class early instead of barely on the nick of time. I also found that I was able to accomplish THAT much more in the morning. { I even had time to pack myself a nutritious lunch} I was also able to understand and get a LOT more out of my scripture study in the morning, and better apply the scriptures to my own life. {1st Nephi 19:23}


It is so amazing to me how much the lord can truly can help guide us to become the Kings and Queens that we truly have the potential to become if we will just but let him shape us. 

He continues...
Elder Dallin H. Oaks, in a recent general conference, taught, “We have to forego some good things in order to choose others that are better or best because they develop faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and strengthen our families.”

Honestly what it comes down to is putting the lord first! 

I promise you that when you do this that EVERYTHING else will fall into place! 


Sometimes we get caught up in the gospel being complicated but really the Gospel is SIMPLE!

It is founded upon the basic principles and ordinances of the Gospel.



1. Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.


2. Repentance


3. Baptism by Immersion


4. Laying on of Hands of the Gift of the Holy Ghost.


Lastly along with that..


5. Enduring to the end.



***************

I want to challenge you all to gain a stronger relationship with your Heavenly Father and Jesus 

Christ. He is 

Always there for us NO MATTER WHAT. You can pray to him anytime of the day and anywhere.

He loves you MORE than you could or ever can imagine, for his love is infinite. He knows

EXACTLY what each and everyone of us is going through at this time in our lives.  


I am so thankful for a Loving Heavenly Father who has given us this beautiful gospel for it truly is wonderful. 

I know that my redeemer lives! 



"Strength comes not from frantic activity but from being settled on a firm foundation of truth and light. It comes from placing our attention and efforts on the basics of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. It comes from paying attention to the divine things that matter most." ~ Elder Uchtdorf


 

1 comment:

  1. Kaitlin! First off I love the post!! You have such a way with words to inspire! HA. Okay so I just started last week reading a conference talk every morning as the first thing I do! Totally makes your day off to a great start with so many wonderful things to think about.. and today I read the one by President Uchtdorf! What a coincidence! Its so true though, we get so caught up in daily living we forget to slow down for what matters most! Amazing talk! :) Thanks for the wonderful post! LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete