flower backgroud

Sunday, March 13, 2011

My Talk in Church :)


Missionary Work

( On Sundays I usually like to write about what I heard in church, and since I spoke today I thought I would share with you my thoughts)

  
My name is Kaitlin Gray, and I have been asked to give a talk on Missionary Work and opening our mouth. I pray that the spirit will be with me today, and that I will be able to convey my message across.
Missionary work can be hard and sometimes scary. We do not all have the opportunity to serve a full time mission, however we can be member missionaries. You ask any missionary and a great deal of their success does not come from tracking, but from referrals from the member missionaries. All we have to do is to OPEN our mouth. Now this sounds simple, however I think there are many things that keep us from doing so. It may be fear, fear of rejection, fear of losing a friend or fear that we might say the wrong thing.
In Doctrine and Covenants 33:7-10 it reads 7Yea, verily, verily, I say unto you, that the field is awhite already to harvest; wherefore, thrust in your sickles, and reap with all your might, mind, and strength.

I have had numerous missionary experiences when it comes to "opening our mouth". About 3 years ago I was attending a Community College down in Arizona, and in order to get to this college which was an hour away, I had to ride the "Light Rail", up in Utah it is known as the tracks. I drove to the light rail and then rode the light rail for more than a half an hour. I made the goal and promised myself that I would talk to someone every day. When it would have been so easy to just keep to myself and maybe take a nap, for it was a long ride. I decided that this would be a wonderful missionary opportunity and I was ready to take that chance. Now you have to understand I was in a scary/sketchy part of town, where poverty was very prevalent. However I decided to stick with it. So I began making casual conversation with people on the light rail. The usual, where you from? What are you going to school for? Etc…and almost always guaranteed the conversation ended up on some gospel discussion, and I LOVED it!
    Now this was a little hard for me in the sense, that I would make conversation and have JUST enough time to squeeze in my little tid bit about the gospel, and then next thing I know it was their stop and we said our goodbyes. Not knowing whether or not I would ever see that person again. One day I began talking with this African American who come to find out was from Africa, and she was going to school here in Az. It all began when I asked her where she was from and when she replied Africa I almost instantly said, " I have a friend on a mission for our Church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints." I was immediately filled with the spirit as I realized that I had JUST opened that door for missionary work. I got excited when I realized that she was actually in my Micro-biology class, which I was taking at the time. So I was happy because we had the same schedule and would then ride to and from School together on the tram. So that meant that I had an hour with her each day 5 days a week to talk with her about the gospel. She began asking questions and seeming very interested in what I had to say about our church. She had said that she had actually met the missionarys before and that any lds missionarys that she met were extremely nice. So this process began for about 5 weeks. Then the class was coming to a close. She had told me that she had lived in France for 6 years, so I then asked her what language she read best in. She replied French. So I then went to the visitors center and picked up a French Copy of the Book of Mormon and wrote my testimony in it. I was anxiously awaiting the day of the final (weird I know) because I was going to give her the Book of Mormon after class that night on the way back on the light rail. As the final began its all I could think about. I realized that she had ended earlier than I and began to walk out the door. I then ran to my teacher and asked her if I could go and give this book that I had to her. My teacher told me that I could not leave the room until my final was complete. As I was no where near finishing the final. My heart was sunk, as I realized that I did not have any way of contacting her and that she was moving to Florida the following week. Right as I lost all hope, the girl behind me overheard me and then told me that she was going out to dinner that night with that same girl and that she could give the book to her then. I was so thankful for that tender Mercy. Now I would love to tell you that she read the book and joined the church, however I will never actually know what happened. But I planted that seed, and that is all that matters.

 
   
Even thought the people were persecuting him he still went back. I think that we can apply this to our own lives. If someone does not accept our invitation to read the book of Mormon or to come to church with you, no big deal. The worst thing that they could say is no right? J Remember my goal when it came to talking to people on the light rail? Well I made that same goal when traveling and going on airplanes. I feel that there is no better opportunity for missionary experiences. So everytime without fail there has always been opportunity for me to sit next to someone and talk about the gospel. Some how it always comes up. There was one time where I sat next to this old man. We began talking and the gospel came up and I began telling him and explaining to him what I believe. He couldn't believe what a strong teenager I was, when this world is so wicked. I told him it was because of my religion and how it truly makes me who I am today. I happened to have a book by Sherri Dew that was called " A more powerful people" I began showing him quotes and excerpts from it and he loved it! I kept having this feeling to invite him to have the missionarys visit him. I kept pushing it aside as we were going to be landing soon, I then decided that I would be bold and ask him right when we landed. So we landed, my heart was pounding uncontrollably. However I did it! I asked him, and he kindly rejected. But that's the WORST that can happen. He then thanked me for who I was, and told me to continue on doing what I was doing! He was a happy fellow and appreciated what I stood for, but told me that he was already strong in his faith. Like I said before, even though he rejected it is planting that seed. And someday when he does accept, he will remember that little experience that we had together.
    
I cant help but think of when I get to the celestial kingdom and I see my fellow friends and having them come up to me and say, "You knew? And you didn't tell me?" I would never want that to happen. However on the flipside I can hardly wait to be reunited with my friends and have one come up to me and say Thank you! Thank you for telling me of what you know. I am eternally grateful.

*****
  
       One more story I would like to share with you was just this summer. This summer I was an EFY counselor, and we were all able to go to Canada with a bunch of counselors to visit one of the counselors mission. We were right outside Waterton National Park and wanted to take some pictures. So we got out to take some pictures. I saw this lady taking pictures, so I kindly asked her if she would take a picture of me and my friends. She gladly accepted the invitation. She then asked us if she could take some pictures on her camera of us. She had a NIiiiiice Camera. We said of course! I mean why not? Funny story, she actually ended up doing an entire photo shoot for us. She kept saying that there was something different about us. After we were finished we exchanged information, when she said, there is just a LIGHT that radiates from you guys. We then quickly said, you want to know why we are different and why we are so happy? This is why! As we handed her a book of Mormon. We then told her to read it. Later on in the week she took off work so that she could come and hang out with us at the zoo. Her name is Leanne, and Leanne and I kept in touch. We would text here and there. She called me the Shiny one. She then asked me if I had ever gone hiking in Sedona ( that's in Az) I said yes but I had not had the chance to go this year, but I want to. She then said, " How about this Saturday?" I said what?!? I was so surprised!! So She came down to Arizona and we went hiking. Now this drive is like 3 hours, so…what do I do?!? Talk about the gospel of Course. I explained to her so many different aspects of the gospel and answered any questions that she had. I talked to her about Joesph Smith, Prayer, and explained to her that she was a child of god and has a Heavenly Father who loves her very much. It continued… So that night we were heading up towards flagstaff and were going to stay the night at my friends house, because it was too long to drive all the way back home by this point. When I realized that we were going to be staying the night I quickly thought of Church, because the following day was Sunday. I thought to myself ALL you got to do is ask, and the worst that can happen is her say no right? So I asked her, " Leanne would you like to go to church with me?" She said YES! Boy I wanted to shout for joy! So the next day we went to Church together. I explained to her that she did not need to take the sacrament and explained to her that we take it remembering promises that we have made with our Heavenly Father. She then said, " Oh I have made promises with god, and I intend to keep every single one of them" haha I was praying that the speakers in sacrament would say something that would be for her. And the second speaker then talked about the plan of Salvation in great detail. She listened intently I could not have been happier. After Church she gave me the BIGGEST hug and said, " Kaitlin, I am SO glad that I met you, and I am SO glad that you took me to your church, that was EXACTLY what I needed. 
    
******

Sometimes all we need to do is OPEN our mouth, and I promise you that the opportunitys will flood, and you will be guided by the holy spirit what to say. I hope that we all can have the courage to OPEN our mouth. I know that missionary work is inspired, and that when we have those promptings we need to take them. There are many times in life where we are answers to other peoples prayers and we need to act on those promptings to be that answer. I love this gospel so much and I know that we can bring others unto Christ . I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment